Career Exploration and Job Search Online Resources
For some students scheduling an appointment with a counselor or staff member is not necessary in order to have their Career Planning needs met. For this reason, the Career Center staff has compiled a list of online resources to aid students in the decision making process.
Tech Majors and Degrees
Please view the Louisiana Tech University Academic Programs List for a current listing of all Tech Undergraduate/ graduate majors and degree programs.
What Can I Do with This Major is a convenient website that helps you to connect majors with careers.
For each major that interests you:
- Choose “Information” to find an outline of common career areas, typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.
- Choose “Links” to find a list of websites that provide information about listed majors and related careers.
Online Career Assessments
Focus2 is an online, self-guided, interactive program designed to help students select the right college major and plan your career based on interests, values, skills, personality and career aspirations. The program is based on helping to identify your personal interests, values, skills, personality and career aspirations. FOCUS-2 will help you clarify your strengths, interests, and professional goals so you will be better equipped to identify potential majors and minors, to create an academic plan, and to map out a basic career path.
FOCUS 2 will:
- Identify the major areas of study at Louisiana Tech University that best match your assessment results.
- Integrate the results from your interest, personality, values and skills assessments into your career planning.
- Help you use your results to plan your education and career goals.
- Store your results in an on-line Student Portfolio that you can update as often as you like.
To get started on FOCUS 2:
- First time users will need to create a new account. Use the access code bulldogs when prompted.
- Returning users may login using the account already created.
For more information on what the FOCUS assessment can do for you, review this presentation.
To discuss your FOCUS 2 results with a Licensed Professional Counselor, contact 318.257.2488 and schedule a “career counseling” appointment today
TypeFocus is an online personality profile that provides valuable information, which is personalized, based upon Personality and Success Factor Questionnaires. This includes your personality strengths, interests and values that are then linked to careers that fit your strengths.
- First time users will need to use the Access Code: lat6767.
- New Users need to register prior to taking the assessments.
- Returning Users may log in to review their career assessment results.
Online Occupational Information
Online O*Net Center: a data base that includes information on work tasks, knowledge required, abilities, work activities, interests, work needs, related occupations, earnings and outlook on over 1100 occupations.
Occupational Outlook Handbook: The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations. The OOH provides information about various careers including:
- Nature of Work
- Working Conditions
- Training and Other Qualifications
- Employment Trends
- Job Outlook
- Related Occupations
Job and Internship Search Resources
Handshake provides a modern platform for college recruiting. Over 500 colleges and universities have made the switch to using the Handshake system, which in turn has driven over 250,000 employer partners actively recruiting using this same system. Whether you are looking for an opportunity in Accounting to Zoology, operating through Handshake heightens your chances of landing that dream job!
Current students will be able to access Handshake through single sign on that using your Moodle credentials; all you need to do to access the system is activate their account! Alumni have the opportunity to create accounts to use the system. Login in (or create) your account today: https://joinhandshake.com/
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network with hundreds of millions of members, and growing rapidly. Our mission is to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful. Create an account to begin your networking. Visit the LinkedIn 101 seminar to learn more about using the platform. A schedule for LinkedIn presentations is found in your Handshake calendar.
Live Career Since 2005, we’ve helped more than 10,000,000 folks from all over America (and beyond!) discover their career path, build stronger resumes, interview with confidence, and boost their chances of finding the right job in less time. Need instant career assistance; check our Live Career!
The Muse Find free Career Advice on topics such as Interview Tips, Resume & Cover Letter Samples, and search for Jobs from the best companies.
Interview Preparation with Big Interview
The Career Center provides each student with access to an interview training system called Big Interview. Here, students can practice responding to interview questions. The system allows you to record yourself and watch your play back as well as provides curriculum to teach you how to complete a successful interview! Register now to get started:
- Go to https://latech.biginterview.com/ and click “Register”.
- Complete registration process.
- You’ll then receive a confirmation email at your SCHOOL email address. Click “Verify” in the email, and you’ll be able to start using Big Interview.
Questions? Support is available! Check out Big Interview Support at http://support.biginterview.com/help_center