Post Baccalaureate students are only eligible for Financial Aid if they are taking preparatory coursework for graduate school. Students taking preparatory coursework for graduate school will need to submit additional documentation other than that which is normally required for Financial Aid and will need to understand the information listed below:
- Stafford Loan limitations. The student may only receive Stafford Loan funds once in their post baccalaureate academic career (at any school) for a 12 consecutive month period, and the funds will be limited to $7,500 for a dependent student attempting to be admitted to a graduate program and $12,500 to an independent student attempting to be admitted to a graduate program. If a student fails to take classes or receive aid for any term in the 12 consecutive month period, they will not be able to receive aid in a later term to make up the aid they didn’t receive for the missed term.
- Minimum half-time enrollment. They must be enrolled at least half time each quarter, which is 4 hours, to receive loan funds.
- Enrollment in required classes. They may only take classes required by their department for admission to graduate school. No extra classes will be counted toward their eligibility for aid.
Students taking preparatory coursework for graduate school will need to do the following:
1. Apply for admission to Louisiana Tech University.
You must be accepted for admission before the Louisiana Tech Division of Student Financial Aid can determine your financial aid package. Apply now.
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
You must list Louisiana Tech University on your FAFSA so we can receive the results. Be sure to list the correct school code (002008). As a freshman entering college for the first time, you should indicate on your FAFSA that you are seeking an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. Complete your FAFSA now.
3. Complete the Louisiana Tech Data Form.
This form collects information that is not available on the FAFSA and allows Louisiana Tech to create a more accurate award package. Louisiana Tech cannot proceed with processing a financial aid package until either the Data Form (Online) or the Data Form (Fill and Print) is received. Complete your Data Form now.
4. Submit letter showing required classes.
Submit a letter to Financial Aid from your graduate department denoting the required classes for unconditional admission to graduate school.
5. Complete the Preparatory Coursework Certification Form.
6. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR).
If your SAR is rejected or requires correction or you are selected for verification, you should read the instructions carefully and take appropriate action.
When the Financial Aid Office receives your SAR, you will receive a “missing information” letter or email outlining further information the office may require to complete your application. Log in to Net Partner and click “Missing Documents” to check your document status. Please provide the information or take the directed action to correct the problem as quickly as possible to avoid delays in awarding your financial aid. Downloadable Forms and Documents are available to assist you with any “missing information”.
NOTE: Submit all College Transcripts (if applicable) to Louisiana Tech University. The Financial Aid Office will need to review all college transcripts for grades and course completion in order to determine whether the student meets our Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. This includes classes taken as dual enrollment credit.
Respond to the award letter.
If you do not have a Louisiana Tech email address, you will receive a paper financial aid award letter outlining the aid Louisiana Tech can offer you. If you have a Louisiana Tech email address, notice will be sent by email when you have an award letter. We cannot complete the financial aid process until you return the letter or accept your awards online. Please return the signed award letter within three weeks of the date of the letter so we know that you intend to accept the funds offered or complete and sign your award letter electronically by visiting Net Partner.