Louisiana Tech University - Financial Aid - FAQs: Applying for Financial Aid
  • Apply Now!

FAFSA Online

School Code:  002008


Frequently Asked Questions



Financial Aid Glossary


FAQs: Applying for Financial Aid


Return to FAQ Index


Do I have to apply for federal financial aid each year?
Yes, it is necessary for you to apply for federal financial aid each year. The earliest you can apply is January 1 of the year in which you are seeking to obtain or renewing your federal aid. There are deadlines for application that you should meet for full consideration for aid for the upcoming award year.


What exactly is the award year?
Generally, the award year is Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer in that order. Note that the award year varies from the calendar year. At Louisiana Tech University, your financial aid application can affect the current award year or the next award year. If, in 2010, you are seeking aid for the Spring 2010 and/or Summer 2010 quarters, you would submit a 2009-2010 FAFSA. However, if you are applying for the 2010-2011 award year which includes Fall 2010, Winter 2010-2011, Spring 2011 and Summer 2011, you would use the 2010-2011 FAFSA. If you are planning to start at Tech in the Summer and continue into the Fall and beyond, you should complete both applications as soon as possible to allow sufficient processing time.


When does my FAFSA expire?
The FAFSA "expires" on June 30th of the award year. Thus, the last date you can submit a 2010-2011 FAFSA for processing by the Department of Education is June 30, 2011.


What is Louisiana Tech's federal school code?
Our federal school code is 002008. Be certain to list the correct school code on your federal application to insure that your results will be sent to Louisiana Tech University.


When I received my Federal Student Aid Report, I noticed that my social security number was incorrect. How do I correct it?
There are two ways to correct your social security number. The first option is to submit a correction to the SSN field on your Student Aid Report. Although this would appear to be the easier method for the student, problems may occur in the long run as various agencies attempt to load your electronic SAR into their systems. The second and preferred method is to file a new FAFSA under your correct Social Security number. Because the applicant’s SSN is used as an identifier for the entire record, systems will not encounter matching issues.


The federal processing center says that they have sent my Student Aid Report to Louisiana Tech’s Financial Aid Office but your office says you have not received it. What could be the problem?
Yours is a common problem which most likely occurs as a result of confusion between Louisiana Tech University and a local technical college known as Louisiana Technical College - Ruston. You should contact the federal processing center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) and verify that Louisiana Tech University, federal school code 002008 is listed on your application.