Louisiana Tech University - Financial Aid - FAQs: Maintaining Eligibility for Financial Aid
  • Apply Now!

FAFSA Online

School Code:  002008


Frequently Asked Questions



Financial Aid Glossary


FAQs: Maintaining Eligibility for Financial Aid


Return to FAQ Index


I received a letter stating that I was not making satisfactory academic progress. What does this mean? How can I receive financial aid again?
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is a set of federal regulations that requires students to demonstrate they are moving through their academic program at a reasonable rate, or are "making progress" toward their degree. For more information on SAP please read the Louisiana Tech University SAP Policy.

Continuing and transfer undergraduate students must maintain a minimum of 2.00 cumulative GPA. Graduate students must maintain a cumulative graduate course GPA of 3.00. All students must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of the courses in which they enroll at Tech during the academic year. Students may also not exceed the maximum hours allowed for the degree program.

A student may receive financial aid again by appealing or seeking reinstatement. A student may appeal with explanation and documentation of unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control (medical reasons, death in the family, etc.). A student may seek reinstatement after they have earned 8 undergraduate hours or 6 graduate hours at their own expense and met the required cumulative GPA and percent completion.


When are GPA, hours, and percent completion rates checked to see if a student still qualifies for financial aid?
At the end of the academic year, we review your academic performance for the quarters you have attended and determine if you have met Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). At the end of each quarter, we review maximum hours allowed for the degree program to determine if students have exceeded 150% of their program.


Some of the hours listed on my transcript were paid for out of pocket. Why are they considered in SAP (high aggregate hours)?
To quantify academic progress, Louisiana Tech University has set a maximum time frame in which a student is expected to finish a program. The total hours attempted are considered in the maximum hours to set a standard for each program, not whether or not the student has received federal financial aid.


How will I know when my aid will be put on hold due to high aggregate hours?
The Financial Aid Office tries to notify students prior to exceeding maximum aggregate hours. A student can determine if they are about to exceed or have exceeded the maximum hours allowed by multiplying the total hours required by their degree program by 1.5. This will provide the maximum hour limit. All attempted post-secondary courses (including all "W", "F", "I", and "NC" grades) must be added together. If the number of attempted hours exceeds the maximum hours allowed, the student is ineligible. If it does not exceed the limit, the difference is the hours of eligibility remaining.


If I drop a class and fall below half-time enrollment, will I lose financial aid for the next quarter?
If you are employed as a student worker and you fall below half-time enrollment, you must cease working immediately.  If you attended all of your classes at least once and have received all of the aid for the quarter, there will be no other affect in the current quarter.  Future quarters in the same year are not affected.


If I fall below a 2.0 GPA one quarter, will I lose financial aid for the next quarter?
No, your Federal Financial Aid is evaluated annually at the end of the academic year regardless of when attendance at Tech began. The academic year at Louisiana Tech spans Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer quarters in that order.

However, TOPS scholarship students who fail to maintain steady academic progress at the end of any quarter shall be suspended from TOPS eligibility. Steady academic progress is defined as 2.00 cumulative GPA for TOPS purposes.


If I drop a class will I have to pay back any of the financial aid that I received?
If you have already received grant monies and drop your class(es), which changes your enrollment status, you will be in repayment of certain grants. If you completely withdraw from the University or stop attending prior to completing more than 60% of the enrollment period, you will be required to repay a percentage of the financial assistance that you have received for the enrollment period to the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, you may owe the college additional funds that were initially credited to your account but have now been returned to the federal government by the institution.


Can I be reinstated if my GPA for this quarter is a 2.0?
A student must earned 8 hours at their own expense, have a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and earn 67% of the courses attempted during that academic year before reinstatement is approved.


When can I turn in my reinstatement form? When is the deadline?
A reinstatement form may be turned in after grades are posted once the student has met the reinstatement requirements. Deadlines for reinstatement can be found here.